Why I Do What I Do.

"The Lord God said, 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him'." -Gen 2:18 (NIV)

9.22.2011

My Recently Departed Disease and How I Cured It

I dream sometimes about penning a story that would be the icing on the muffin in the world of mordern literature. A story that would inspire millions of young writters to persue their dreams and scribble out their very own wonderful epic.


My grammar is terrible (and I usually misspell grammar) and I have a small following of four readers. But let us realize that no good author ever made their mark without dreaming first. I am young and I have years to master the grammar end of this art. My most terrible monster in this adventure of scribbling stories, is something called a momentary lack of creative thought and ideas. Sometimes referred to as Writer's Block. It's like a disease in the same family tree as leprosy. It starts small and spreads. First I cannot think of a proper name for my character which leads to not being able to write a paragraph....which eventually leads to me staring at a blank screen or paper for two hours.


But what did all the handsome, dashing knights in the old stories do when they came upon a dragon that seemed larger than life? They killed it of course, usually in such a manner that they get some gorgeous woman in the process. Well, I wouldn't mind getting some beautiful man in the process of slaughtering this foe (Writer's Block) but usually the only hot guys who hang out at the library (where I go to defeat this enemy)....are.....well, to put it lightly, old, or round, or very young or very nerdy. Not that I have anything against the very young, the old, the round, or the nerdy.... but I probably couldn't marry anyone in those areas.


Back to the battle, my lack of ideas, this disease that plagues me. I must assuredly kill it, I simply do not know how. I cannot murder it in cold blood, because no mortal object can do so. its purely in my head.....and suddenly, I look back and realize that I have just overcome my illness. Not by sword, not by lightsaber, and not by pistol. I am beginning to think that the prescription I could give to those also infected, is as follows.


Force yourself to write just as one would force themselves to swallow the rest of the delicious honeybun or to dive into "just one more" plate of pie.

2 comments:

  1. dude, I love this. Its so eloquent, and speaks what every writer have this disease, feels.
    Muy Bonita. :)

    ReplyDelete