Why I Do What I Do.

"The Lord God said, 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him'." -Gen 2:18 (NIV)

11.28.2011

The Lady Takes the Classy Cake...


A picture from a bit ago....but Heath (on the left), Grandmother (Middle), and the Hopeless Romantic (with a swing bob)

As you all know, I have this fledging obsession with the eras gone by, mostly the forties & fifties. Probably because my grandmothers lived then and I always refer to them as my shining examples of woman. Not just spirtitually, but emotionally and in so many ways. Though with my mom's mom, one area of her expertise really grabs my heart......

When it comes to entertaining, my grandmother is on the top of the ladder. She bakes, she cooks (and everything looks good), cleans, decorates, and makes her home into the warmest, most welcome place. This past year I've spent almost a day a week at her kitchen table enjoying her talents. She stuffs me full of delicious food, but its truly the way she makes the food that enthralls me so. She has the 'pinch of this, smidge of that' method down pat, but she also can make anything from french bread to chicken noodle soup from memory. Talk about a true housewife of caliber. I also take notice, that when sitting down to eat, my grandfather prays, and says, "and thank you God for the cute little cook." I'm obviously not the only one to notice her skills. My grandmother (her name is Lois) also sews like a seamstress, cleans like a spectacular five-star maid, nurses us sick little people(she has too good of a bedside manner to be a doctor), teaches us, and the list never ends.
I remember the day she came over to clean, she told me she had cleaned her house, put a lunch in the crockpot for her hubby, made one for us, came to our house, cleaned, made us desert, and left in time to take her dinner out of her crockpot and spend the evening with him. Plus, the woman thinks Sean Connery is attractive. She has what I call class.

I can only hope that someday, I can be half the housewife, wife, mother, teacher, cook, baker, seamstress, nurse, gardener, bee-keeper, wedding planner, hostess, Bible-study leader, and grandmother....she is. So here is an imagnianry toast to the classiest woman on the planet. My Grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment